Will S.A. be ready? cbc.ca >> DURBAN — “Here, ladies and gentlemen, the dream is now reality.” With these words, FIFA president Sepp Blatter did his best Tuesday in Durban, South Africa, to set the tone for the 100-day countdown to the World Cup opener in June. But this is South Africa, where the drama is invariably unscripted. Take the other night in Durban for example. A phalanx of police vehicles pressed through tight traffic, lights flashing and sirens... Read More
A Watchful Eye
Global Newsbeat covers and critiques world news, with an eye on human rights and wrongs. The brand new site by journalist and writer Kyle G. Brown steps onto a stage where fast-moving events and dodgy decisions often escape honest, probing analysis. This is where we take the time to ask: Why did they do that?
Online and On Air
Global Newsbeat features reports and documentaries by freelance journalist and pugilistic polemicist Kyle G. Brown. They have aired on Canadian, US and UK airwaves and appeared in newspapers and magazines. Feel free to email your comments, leads and ideas. Global Newsbeat is often on the move. Currently: PARIS, FRANCE.
- Chile’s Dictatorship: Were Soldiers Victims, too?
- Vamos! Radical approach to learning Spanish in Mexico
- Could France’s empty buildings ease its homeless crisis?
- It’s not just guns that kill…it’s Inequality
- Former French Colony Marks Break with Brutal Past
- A Glimpse of Street Justice
- Absence of Empathy
- Riot Crackdown was Cack-handed
- UK Riots: An English Pantomime
- Baby Steps taken to reduce Child Mortality